Halloween from Beyond the Grave!

post-card-header

You didn’t think that Mamma Biscuit was going to go quietly in the dark, did you? When it comes to Halloween, Mamma Biscuit has always been a boss! Through the years, Mamma Biscuit had reinvented herself from one icon to the next, slaying the competition, showing the world what rescue pugs were really made of and ultimately morphing into her very own pug icon that would live on in infamy for all future generations of pugs and people alike. Mamma Biscuit was the Linda Evangelista of Halloween and I know that she is running blissfully beyond that rainbow bridge right now with her clumsy gait, free from pain and old age, her tongue hovering just above her paws, wagging her curly tail and making all of the children laugh with her Halloween costume as the holiday quickly approaches. It breaks my heart to think that our little gremlin is no longer with us. Just writing this post alone makes me want to sob but both Tommy and I feel fortunate enough to have had eight years with such a special creature in our lives, and we feel even more fortunate to have had this one last costume with her. Just one week before Mamma’s passing, I had the opportunity to take her out in her costume for a trial run photoshoot. I guess all of the early planning that went into creating this epic costume really paid off because a day after this shoot, her health declined rapidly.

At any rate, today would have marked the day we would have unveiled this costume to the world at the annual Tompkins Square Park Howl-o-ween dog costume parade. So to celebrate the life of Mamma Biscuit, we are unveiling it all to you as a big pug hug and a great gesture of Halloween cheer from beyond the grave.

MAMMA BISCUIT AS THE GREAT JOSEPHINE BAKER

mbjb5

Josephine Baker sashayed onto the Parisian stage during the 1920s with a great sense of humor and a sensual appeal that took Europe by storm. She was infamous for her barely-there dresses and no-holds-barred dance routines. Her exotic beauty generated nicknames such as Black Venus, Black Pearl and Creole Goddess. Admirers from around the world bestowed upon her many gifts including diamonds, cars and nearly 1,500 marriage proposals.

mbjb2
mbjb3
mbjb4

She might as well have been renamed Josephine Biscuit because her appeal and allure matched that of Mamma Biscuit herself. People from all over the world would remortgage their home for a simple meet-and-greet with our little gremlin! Mamma sure did love to shake her tail feather although had these diamond encrusted bananas around her waist been real fruit, they would have been eaten before she hit the stage to perform. Such was the life of a food-obsessed pug!

mbjb1

mbjb6

So there you have it folks, Mamma Biscuit’s last official Halloween costume: Josephine Baker.

Thank you all for the love and support and living the crazy and inspirational journey that was Mamma Biscuit’s life!

We love you all and Happy Halloween!

This entry was posted in Fashion, Holiday, Vintage. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Halloween from Beyond the Grave!

1. Kathy Lally says:

I have thought of Mamma during this Halloween season and know how hard it must be for both of you. I was hoping you might do an homage of past costumes but a new one was quite a surprise. Thank you for giving us our last peek of this fabulous girl!

2. Christine says:

I could just see Mamma B now doing the banana skirt dance to the delight of Ms. Baker herself.
    Funny thing, I was just thinking about Mamma since it is the Halloween season. Hope you are all
    well. Thanks for the smile today. This is the best of all of Mamma’s Halloween costumes!
    I am sure Mamma is smiling down upon you from the heavens above while indulging in unlimited, soft
    peanut butter treats.
    Take care and enjoy the Fall, Christine, Ramona, Winston and Dieter

3. Laurie says:

I am so sorry to hear. Your live and care of such a sweet little lady gremlin brought me so much joy, especially at the holidays.

Hooray for a fab Halloween!

4. Kristin Shoemaker says:

As I sing to Penny:

“Aaaaaand IIIIIiiiyyIIIII will alllllllwaYs LOOOVE YooooUUUoooUU!”

This is fantastic to see, and she is timeless and beautiful and lives on forever, sweet Mamma B. I am glad you guys could get this shoot in with your lovely lady.

I… we are in a similar spot. Not with our lolly glottised pug, but with Eddie, our dire Chihuahua (a 40 lb, 2 ft at the shoulder Boston/Chi mix)… he was diagnosed with Cushings a little more than a year ago. This summer it became clear his brain tumor is growing. The last three weeks have seen some relief with prednisone, but with Cushings and prednisone… we are not sure he has more than weeks. I would like to do him a kindness and stop things before they hit too low a note, but I worry when I know how fast that can happen. He is nine. Our previous Boston was eight (also cancer. Boston terriers are farting cancer factories, and I love them SO MUCH).

I feel worry for Penny, though, because she is an older lady (fourteen in February), a pug with all the pug complications and wonders, and she ADORES her brother. Either that, or she causes cancer in Boston Terriers? Either way, I hate to see her missing him… but I don’t know another dog is wise when I know damn well she is quite happy as an only child.

Ah, well. We love them. We do silly things to them. They drop kibble in our shoes while we sleep. We would not trade these memories for anything. Thank you guys again for sharing your little mini keg shaped ray of sunshine with us. She is always a star.

And if you guys should adopt another little fuzzpot in time… when and if the moment is right… please love and squeeze and dress him/her up and show us. We’ve come to adore all of you.

Pug wiggles,
    Kristin, Paul, Penny Glottis and Eddie (oh, Ed.)

Oh mi gosh, what a wonderful costume! I shall miss seeing the fabulous Mamma when future Halloweens roll around and wondering to myself what kind of costume she will have. I think Mamma is smiling down as we enjoy her last photo shoot and she is resting on a cloud enjoying her pb treats.

6. Karen says:

I came back by here today because I was thinking about Mamma Biscuit, and what a delight to see! Thank you for sharing her with the world!!

My beloved baby Sophie dog passed at 16 years (she also had a bit of what we called alzheimer’s – wandering around & getting lost in her own home, stuck behind the furniture, etc). It was heartbreaking when we had to end her pain. 6 years on & I still miss her. Thinking of you all.

7. Laurie Crist says:

Saw the Santa centaur ornament on buzzfeed and made me think of the gremlin and her daddy’s Christmas wonderland. Happy Holidays!

8. Kristin Shoemaker says:

It is months later and I hope you guys are well and fondly have warm reminders of Miss Biscuit (since we’re nasty!) often.

Our Penny Glottis is 14, and starting to feel it, I fear, but she is a pug, after all, and aging won’t stop her ragin’. She seems a bit more frail, I think, I think because she has a new six year old sister pug, DeeDee, a rescue from Pug Rescue of New England. Dee is a big, lovely lady.

It goes without saying that we had to say goodbye far too soon for our liking to dear Eddie. It was devastating. You mentioned the last week with Mamma’s dementia. Ed’s Cushings brain tumor was terrible. He was still sweet and not anxious, but…

You know when it is time.

Like… We had $700 of his meds left when he died in late October, so I dropped them with a friend in the pug rescue. She was taking in a foster around Thanksgiving. We hadn’t planned on a new addition that soon, and this pug was young and waitlists are long and matches are… Capricious. So we figured Dee was going to someone else.

It didn’t work out that way. She is a lovely young lady with allergies and a snore, but a trooper who knows who queen pug is. We love her so… Penny preferred Ed, fo sho, but she likes Dee fine enough.

I think of you and Mamma often. She was a special lady, and you are obviously wonderful daddies. You continue to bring me a lot of joy and inspiration.

Rock on,