The Many Faces of Fort Tryon Park!

Mother Nature is anything but consistent when it comes time to transition from one season to the next. The unseasonably warm temperatures and sunny days of last week (ironically all during work hours) quickly faded into the cold and gloomy temps of this past weekend—all of which is a testament in itself of just how indecisive and annoying she can be around this time of year. I especially find the threat of rain for 48 hours under gray skies to be super annoying—especially since the sun always seems to come back out (like today, Monday morning) to shine over our concrete island the moment I have to drag my ass back to work!

Anyway, the good news is, Mamma and the Biscuits had an opportunity last week to prance and play in Fort Tryon Park during the early evening sunset and boy were we glad we took it. The sky was still open with incredibly intense sunlight and the temperatures were warm enough for us to leave the house without a jacket of any kind on, Mamma included. Lately, the Biscuit Lady has been enjoying the dog run for small breeds at the Sir William’s Dog Run located deep in Fort Tryon Park. At some point, I’m gonna have take some video of our little beast running around the rock formation situated in the middle of the dog run. She can chase after me for hours around those rocks, completely ignoring all the other dogs that take an interest in smelling her behind. Her indifference to other dogs is almost offensive but somehow, it’s all quickly forgiven by any dog owner the moment Mamma unleashes her dam python tongue!

So on our way to the dog run, we took a slow stroll through the Stan Michels Promenade to admire the head sculptures adorning the garden benches located in the seating alcoves that punctuate the promenade. I’ve done some light research online regarding the source of these clay head sculptures and have yielded little to no results. I’m assuming that these busts might be part of a Public Art Project, similar to The Andy Warhol Monument but since there is no paperwork on the bulletin board at the entrance of the park, I really have no idea. So if any of you readers out there in New York City have any answers to the who, what, where and why of these recently added sculptures to the park, please share with us any info you may have!

Aesthetically, I find these busts very interesting to look at and conceptually, they might symbolize the many faces taken from people in our neighborhood or possibly in our city—whether on the street or in the park itself. Some busts have plaques that have names of streets and a one word description of sorts. What I love most about them is that they visually describe the incredible diversity of New York City.

Positioning them on view next to park benches seems fitting as they depict pedestrian life as they are on display for pedestrian life! So as Mamma and Tommy waited by the flower trail in the gardens, I went around to photograph all these lovely head busts. By the time I got to the last one, I could see Mamma from a distance running around in circles next to Tommy—she practically looked like a jumping Mexican bean, that’s how tiny she was from my vantage point!

On our way back from the dog run, we walked down the many hills and paths to exit out of the park on Broadway (the valley where we live) and came across this perfect vignette of debris on a stone step. How fitting, a Whitney and Bobby Love Story article ripped and strewn on the concrete floor next to three empty dime bags and two cigarette butts.

There is art everywhere you look in this park—on display or in the trash—and that’s why I love New York City more than ever!

This entry was posted in NYC Life, Outdoor Life. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Many Faces of Fort Tryon Park!

1. Vanessa says:

Those sculptures are incredible! Will you update us if you learn about their origin?
    (That last picture is too shouldn’t-be-laughing-but-still-kinda-funny :-)

I will definitely update this post if I learn more about the origins of this public exhibit of art! Oh and don’t feel bad, we were laughing hysterically at the ripped article of Bobby and Whitney next to the drug-related debris in the park! There is a reason why they call Washington Height, Washington Haze LOL and that last photo in this post is why!

2. T-Pup says:

OMG. That tongue is unbelievable. Lovely sprintime post.

3. katherine says:

your pup is adorable – i love her tongue. and this looks like a beautiful place to take walks!

Hey there Katherine,

Thanks for stopping by and for the lovely note! Your corgi Teemo is so adorable too! We love our local park here in Washington Heights! I love that suit collar and bow tie you created for him!
      Ruff Ruff

Spring has sprung
    Mamma’s tongue

It is amazing! I’m totally in awe of her tongue. Do you guys get many dog kisses?

5. jeetsc says:

The portraits in Ft. Tryon Park are part of NYC Parks & Recreations Art in the Parks Program. Sculptor Peter Bulow’s exhibition Passing Glances is up through June—you can check out more on Parks’ website:

Bulow sculpts the portraits of people on the train–particularly on the A Train in the neighborhood. The original sculptures are palm-sized, but he enlarged them specifically for this exhibition.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks so much for shedding some light on this exhibit! I had a feeling that these portraits were taken from pedestrian life, or in this case, passengers on the A train! It’s exhibits like this that make me love New York City more than I already do! Again, thanks for providing a link, I’ll read up on this more!
      The Biscuits

6. eileen marie says:

We were just in Spain taking in some of Picasso’s work at various museums -some of those heads look very Picasso-esque. The others I’m not sure, but Picasso worked in many different styles, so maybe all are replicas. Not sure this helps…
    My husband is a pug-aholic (even though we have 2 Cockers) -I will have to introduce him to “Mama Biscuit”!

We haven’t traveled to Spain yet but Barcelona is on my bucket list and I love the work of Picasso! Apparently, this exhibit is from sculptor Peter Bulow’s exhibition Passing Glances. They are all portraits of subway passengers from the A train (blue line) that extends from JFK airport to Inwood in NYC! I would love to see photos of your two Cockers, Mamma Biscuit loves to make new canine friends. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message on Mamma’s little corner on the web!

No wonder I couldn’t find anything regarding these sculptures until NOW. This article is dated April 3rd and my post went live on March 26th! Thanks for sharing this article, I’m reading it right now although the photos taken are quite awful looking and don’t do those portraits any justice!
      The Biscuits