Post Surgery Post!

It’s amazing how much change can happen in just one week. Actually, being a New York City dweller, extreme change can happen from one minute to the next so one week is like an eternity here in this city. Anyway, as of last week, Mamma Biscuit went from having a whopping five teeth in her mouth to now having just three teeth left. That’s right y’all, our Biscuit Lady is on the cusp of being totally toothless and that makes absolutely zero difference to her disposition or ability to eat her food. She continues to gum her food with perfect ease and attacks each meal with such gusto that I would confidently sign her up to compete in a pie eating contest for dogs—and I would bet a large sum of money that she would be the winner too!

Now Tommy and I have been making plans to have a doggie dentist have at it with Mamma’s teeth for quite some time. At first we tried our luck with the clinic at The Humane Society here in NYC—and although they took a blood test of our Biscuit Lady (which she passed beautifully), ultimately, they did not feel comfortable enough to perform oral surgery within their facility on a dog of such advanced years as Mamma Biscuit. We then decided to take Mamma to the West Village Veterinary Hospital on 8th Avenue in Chelsea where her primary doctor practices and where the dentist on-staff came highly recommended. There, she received an examination to make sure that she was healthy enough to be put under for the surgery—and she passed with flying colors. Actually, the dentist was incredibly shocked to find out how healthy and strong her heart is considering how terrible her past life at the puppy mill was coupled with her advanced age! At any rate, after all of Mamma’s tests and examinations, we scheduled her surgery for last Wednesday—and it was a complete success!

So for the last week, Mamma Biscuit has been resting and recuperating from her dental surgery—and she’s doing extremely well I might add! Here she is lounging out on our living room floor and sleeping in her white polka-dot donut bed while wearing a very cute T-shirt with a bone accent patch made entirely of gold sequins. C’mon now, don’t give me a side-eye, you didn’t expect Mamma’s post surgery wardrobe to consist of one of those hideous mint green hospital gowns that tie in the back, did you? Mamma may be geriatric but she’s far too chic for that typical hospital look! Mamma’s tooth fairy came once last year to give her an original pug charm and necklace designed and illustrated by Gemma Correll for all the teeth that were taken out of her mouth before we even got her but this time around, she got this fabulous T-shirt!

Also, have you notice how Mamma’s forearms have been shaved? They tried to find a vein in both arms but were unsuccessful. They eventually found a vein they could use on her inner thigh, which is also shaved in such an unsightly manner. No sweat though, it’ll grow back, we’re just happy that our Biscuit Lady is healthy, happy and at home with us! You can’t notice in these photo but she also had a small skin growth removed right above her nose, centered between her eyes. At first we thought it was a pug pimple but her doctor confirmed that it was a natural growth of some sort that dogs get from time to time. Her doctor wasn’t concerned with it at all but since she was going into surgery for her teeth, they removed it too—and we’re having a biopsy done just in case. Mamma Biscuit means the world to us and we will go to great lengths to keep her as healthy, vibrant and vital as possible!

So that’s the 411 on Mamma Biscuit this week! She’s like a brand new pug—spirited and happy in her prance! Now, whenever I see this commercial for Pedigree Dentastix, I think of a pair of doggie dentures soaking in a tumbler glass of water right beside Mamma Biscuit’s donut bed—because the bitch is practically all gums!

This entry was posted in Fashion, Health. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Post Surgery Post!

1. Funaek says:

Glad to hear Mamma Biscuit is doing well and still chowing down with her three teeth! I hope she has a speedy recovery! I always find the shaved forearms post surgery so cute and sad. This reminds me that I should be better about brushing my pug’s teeth. And I love her glamorous tee and pretty bed. I swear Mamma has a better wardrobe than I do!

Thanks so much for the well wishes! Mamma Biscuit has been all better literally since she walked into the apartment from her surgery last Wednesday evening—you know our girl, she likes to milk us for more attention, and we are happy to oblige her!

2. Candy says:

Get better MB! Teeth are overrated anyway. You’re still fly as hell!

3. Vanessa says:

I know I’ve said it a hundred times before, but Mamma is so, so lucky to have gotten a family that is so devoted to taking care of her and spoiling her the way she deserves. Knowing that our beloved pups aren’t feeling well is the worst feeling, but I’m so happy to hear she’s doing much better! That lady’s gonna be around for a long time :-)

awww Thanks for the lovely note Vanessa! Our Biscuit has been feeling much better since I picked her up from the Vet after her surgery! She’s just milking us for more attention! I’m actually surprised she doesn’t ring a bell from her donut bed whenever she needs something, like I’m her 24-hour nurse! LOL Mamma’s lucky but we’re luckier for having her!
      xox

Thank goodness Mamma and her daddies are okay — you all must have been at least somewhat traumatized by these events! And I love her post-op outfit — that is so cute and casual, but the sequined gold bone imparts that regal touch that is her trademark.

I just don’t understand pug teeth. Our three all eat the same things, play in the same fenced-in yard, etc. but one (the demonic but adorable black girl) has very few teeth. We’re giving her only soft food now. The other two are having better luck with retaining their teeth; of course they’re not as “adventurous” as she is! The two girls are 11+ and the boy is 13+ so were just glad to have them all relatively happy and healthy. I agree with Vanessa that MB is one lucky dog!!

Wow, your pugs are of advanced age just like Mamma Biscuit! LOL I love that your black pug is a bit more adventurous than teh other too, awwww! Teeth are a dificult thing to take care of on dogs, especially on a dog like Mamma Biscuit who arrived to us with only 5 in her mouth! So you’ve had much experience with removing your pug’s teeth? It was a bit scary for us because I was so worried about putting her under! We spoke to several doctors and they all assured me that age is not a disease and that as long as her blood test came back great, she would be fine, and they were totally right! If teeth are infected and left in the mouth, the infection could go straight to their bloodstream and can kill them. Dogs who have infected teeth rarely show symptoms of pain but that doesn’t mean they don’t actually feel pain. We believe Mamma Biscuit was internalizing her pain and just being stoic. She’s has such a happier disposition since she came back from the surgery! Now we just have to go back for a post surgery check-up and to pick up the reults of that biopsy! Thanks again for teh kind words, it’s so great to have a huge support system out there from her fans! xoxo

5. Serena says:

Yay! So glad to hear you came through well and are doing better after your surgery Mamma :)
    You all need a long relaxing weekend to pamper yourselves! Hugs to the recovering patient and her chompers! xx

Thanks so much Serena for the well thoughts and wishes! Yes, we are gearing up for a great Labor Day weekend, and Mamma is resting and doing beautifully! xoxo to you and Soda!