A Legend Gone!

Header

Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.
—T. S. Eliot

The passage we dared to take and the door we opened eight years ago led us to the most beautiful rose garden we never knew existed. We found her within, damaged, unloved and almost forgotten. We rescued her. We saved her from cruelty, endless neglect and total anonymity! We gave her a name fit for a queen, boundless love and a life full of adventures and in return, she gave us the exquisite bond between a human and a dog. Time was never on our side but the extraordinary experience of living and caring for her could not be contained. We had to share it with the world. We had to let the world know that what we had curled up beside us was amazing. This is why you are here reading this. The times and life of Mamma Biscuit has entertained and inspired everyone who crossed paths with her. I’m terribly sad that our time together has come to an end. My heart physically hurts, my breath is short at times and I suffer bouts of selfishness because I want her here with me in the physical world! The truth is, she’ll always be with me, I just need to carry her along inside and her epic story will go on FOREVER. Tommy says that when I fall into fits of sobbing it’s because I’m waking her up from a nap in my heart and her curly tail is wagging back and forth and hitting it. I guess that’s the price I pay for raising a strong and independent female. What truly gets me through the day is knowing that she is free now from any pain that she endured during her last week here with us. Cognitive Canine Dementia and a brain tumor can no longer suppress her appetite and thirst or threaten to give her seizures where she is now. You see, over that dreaded yet glorious rainbow bridge is where she is. Beyond that bridge is the entrance back into the rose garden where she now resides making the children laugh with her unbearable cuteness, awkwardly long tongue and silly disposition. That rose garden is so fertile and in full bloom and I’ll carry that bouquet with me for the rest of my life!

We want to thank you all for coming along on this crazy ride with Mamma Biscuit. Your support, friendship and correspondences have meant the world to us. We intend to keep this blog up for the foreseeable future as a refuge for all of us who need a Mamma Biscuit fix when we are down. We also intend to share new posts from time to time so come back as often as you want. We love you all!

Ending

This entry was posted in Editor's Note. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to A Legend Gone!

1. David Gomez Pearlberg says:

I feel your pain and honor your dedication and love for sweet Mamma! Sending both you guys hugs and heart felt condolences!
    David

2. Francisca says:

My deepest condolences to you two from Amsterdam.
    The loss of a pet is a hurt like nothing else.
    May Mamma’s days over the Rainbow Bridge be filled with the same kind of love and joy she brought to you (and me) while she was still here.
    Run free now sweet, sweet soul.

I will be thinking of you, and hope you and Tommy find some comfort in knowing that Mamma had the best life she could have had!

Francisca.

3. Galadriel says:

I am so sorry to hear of your fur daughters passing. Thank you for adopting her from CTPR and so glad you got to grow in eachothers love. Nothing hurts like losing our four legged babies. Sending you love.

4. candy says:

Oh no! I am so so sad to hear of the passing of MB. She was such a legend!! She had such charm and grace, and she spread so much love to all of those around her. Thank you for giving her years of love Tommy and John – you spoiled her just as she deserved!! Sending you pug hugs and kisses.

5. Gloria says:

What a joy she was! Thank you for sharing her with all of us. It’s clear from all you’ve put on here she was truly, tremendously loved. I’m so sorry for your loss. Sending lots of love. Xx

6. Dee says:

My heart is with you. You gave her a wonderful life. xo

7. So very sorry to hear your sad news. I have no words. Much love to you both. xoxoxoxoxoxo

8. tamara says:

I am so sorry for your loss. Mamma Biscuit seemed like one of those extra special dogs who is so sweet and loving and full of personality. I’ve loved following along with the adorable photos of her over the years. I’ll be thinking of y’all, and of her. Glad she is no longer in pain, at least.

9. Suzanne says:

I am so sad to hear that Mamma B passed away. You gave her so much love and happiness and she was a true puggy icon. My Nando also passed after fighting bravely with a brain tumor, exactly like Mamma. I want to think that they have met each other above and are romping and playing free of pain. I am so so sorry for your loss, the eulogy is so touching and beautiful, straight from the heart. Thank you for caring for this precious soul. RIP sweet Mamma B.

10. Dorie Herman says:

i’m so sorry… as the owner of a few senior rescues, she was truly a wonderful dog and representation for senior rescue. i literally plowed down a crowd to yell hello and just see her sweet face in real life last year at the halloween parade dressed as frida kahlo… you were amazing parents to her and i thank you so much for sharing her journey with us.

11. Kristin Shoemaker says:

Oh guys, I am so sorry. They bring such joy… my one regret with rescues is that we don’t get ALL the time with them.

In all honesty, I didn’t read the post yet because I am weeping. Three years ago this week we lost a younger Boston Terrier rescue to aggressive mammary cancer, and my sweet Penelope Glottis isn’t getting younger and of course they’re worth all the pain at this juncture because of the time we spend and the memories that we have when the hurt subsides a bit….

Thinking of you, but freaking my two little poopies out with the crying… so I will stop babbling now.

Mamma most definitely had the BEST DADS EVER. I know she knew.

Hugs and pug kisses,
    Kristin, Paul, Eddie and of course Penny G.

My sincere condolences to you both. You were both such great dads to Mamma B. I never got to meet her in the furs, but I can tell she was just oh so sweet and loving. Reading about her adventures and seeing her photos always put a smile on my face. Thinking of you with love.

Patty

13. Zoey says:

I am so sorry for your loss. Mamma Biscuit’s smiling face and beautiful outfits always made me so happy to read about, and I hoped one day to have the chance to meet her. I loved showing friends her blog posts and routinely checked for new ones. What a sweet little pug; she was so loved by her wonderful daddies.

14. Christine says:

I am so sorry and broken hearted for you over the loss of your dear little pug. I would take great delight
    in reading about Mamma B and her fabulous life with her adoring dads. I don’t think she could have been loved
    anymore or been given a better life than what you and Tommy gave her. I truly believe our pets are members
    of our families and they know how much we really love them. You guys made the world a better place by taking an
    older dog and giving her the best care and life any dog could ever hope for, and sharing her with us.
    With my deepest sympathy,
    Christine, Dieter,Winston and Ramona.

15. Kathy Lally says:

I have always dreaded that this day would come. I am sincerely sorry for your loss. She was one great broad!

16. Suzy says:

Bless you for saving and rescuing her and for giving her the most fabulous life any puggy could ask for. Her spirit shall live forever. My thoughts are with you xx

17. Mariah says:

Sending you both love and condolences from Los Angeles. I’ve followed her adventures for a few years now and have been dreading this post. Your beautiful little gremlin was truly one of a kind. Thank you for sharing her exploits with us! She was, and will always be, too fabulous for this world.

18. Cheryl Williamson says:

So sorry to hear about Mamma. My heart is broken for you. I am so glad that she had you both to give her the wonderful life she so deserved. So,so sorry for your loss. xoxo

19. Sandra Maria says:

I’m so sorry to hear these news…
    Thank you so much for all that you made for her.
    Mamma Biscuit will always be with all of us.

20. Steve says:

Guys I’m so sorry for your loss. Mamma B was was fabulosity and love all rolled up and covered in the most beautiful fawn fur. I know you miss her terribly as we will all miss her girl about town antics, her fabulous outfits and your beautiful photography.
    I am sad for her passing but my mourning will be brief because there is so much of her to celebrate. And I will celebrate momma’s life. may peace be with you.
    Fondly,
    Steve in Miami and Milo in dog heaven with Momma

21. Mamma Biscuit Fan says:

I met Mamma Biscuit when she was dressed as Vivienne Westwood. She was such a joy! I’m sorry to hear she’s gone.

22. Donna Trexler says:

so so sorry. she had the best life ever when she was with you

23. Amy says:

Oh, my heart goes out to you both. Mamma Biscuit was such a luminous beastie. This little blog is a testament to the power of love, just like Mamma B. herself. Thank you for sharing her glamorous life, and your big hearts. Love from NYC.

24. Archer's Mum says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. Mamma Biscuit was wonderful. I looked forward to her dresses and capes and wigs and brooches, and your love for her showed in all the pictures you took. I wish you and Tommy well.

25. James Gallagher says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I have (and many other of mamma’s fans, I’m sure) had to say farewell to beloved four footed companions, it’s never easy, never quick and never the same as each is a unique personality. The one thing that they all do though is stretch our hearts to greater dimension than we’d ever have known without them. When the time is right, you’ll find that extra space in your heart that’s been created by mamma so that you can allow another in. I wish you peace and comfort. -Jim from Pittsburgh, PA

26. Abigail says:

Belated, but I am so sorry for your loss! I used to live down the block from you guys, and I loved revisiting via this blog. Thank you for all of the fabulous glam from this sweet pupper.